SEATTLE, Wash. - The “Sirens” are already making some noise in Seattle, even before we know for sure if the name is the final choice for the new Seattle professional women’s soccer club.
Smoking guns (or should that be fins?) : There is some evidence that Sirens is the chosen name, or at least in serious contention:
- http://www.SeattleSirensFC.com is registered to new club owner Bill Predmore
- Since I published that info, the registration page has been altered to remove Premore’s personal info
- The above web address does not just redirect to “Facebook,” but rather to a very specific page that has yet to be published, but has the address Facebook.com/SeattleSirensFC
- Predmore also has registered FCSirens.com
- Twitter.com/SirensFC has been established, and is currently following national team players (Since this article went online, someone else (a fan? a squatter?) has also registered twitter.com/seattlesirensfc, which was not a page when I started today’s research. Online world moves fast, very fast.)
People are already talking about the club, and the possible name, all over social media. It’s more or less a dream come true for the new club to have a buzz after one simple press release. The debate over whether Sirens FC is a good name comes down to personal preference, and a verbal battle in Seattle over what is politically correct and perhaps gender neutral. Some find the name offensive, some find it clever.
What’s your take on the name “Seattle Sirens FC?” Vote in the poll below, and / or post in the comments section.