PORT ANGELES, WA―Be prepared to “rumble” and cheer on some of the best soccer teams in the Pacific Northwest on Saturday, April 26, when Peninsula College hosts a Rumble in the Rainforest Soccer Exhibition Extravaganza at Sigmar Field in Port Angeles. The Rumble is a benefit for the Peninsula College Soccer Program.
In conjunction with the adult program, there will also be a Youth Jamboree taking place at Peninsula College and Civic Field, April 26 and 27. This event will showcase more than 30 youth teams from Victoria Highlanders Academy, Kitsap Pumas Academy and our own Storm King Soccer.
Events on April 26 will kick off at 9:00 am on Sigmar Field with a match between the men of Wenatchee United (WenUtd FC) vs. Peninsula College. This will be followed at 10:20 am by an exhibition match between the women’s teams of Saint Martin’s College and Peninsula College. At 12:10 pm, the men of Saint Martin’s and Peninsula College will meet.
Men’s soccer dominates the rest of the day, continuing at 2:00 pm when Oregon’s IPS goes up against the Kitsap Pumas. At 3:20 pm, the Victoria Highlanders from Victoria, Canada, face off against the University of Washington, followed by a 5:10 pm match pitting the Kitsap Pumas against Wenatchee United.
The Victoria Highlanders take the field again at 6:30 pm to challenge the Oregon IPS squad.
Car Show, Kids Zone and Food
In between the world class soccer games, there will be plenty else to do on campus. Soccer fans and car lovers are invited to visit the free Car Show, hosted by the Peninsula College Auto Shop and Wilder Auto.
For the children, there will be a special free Kids’ Zone, sponsored by the Olympic Peninsula Boys & Girls Club.
Everyone is invited to try out some great food and drink from the vendors who will be on hand to sell some real crowd-pleasers to the hungry and thirsty. Vendors include Toga’s Soup House, Next Door Gastropub and the Pirate Bay Cafe, which will be No outside food or beverages are permitted.
goalWA.net Local Soccer News is sponsored by Pro Roofing Northwest, Kirkland, Bellevue, Seattle, Redmond, Woodinville, Federal Way, Everett, Snohomish, Issaquah, Renton, Kent, Bothell, Edmonds Washington roofing company.
The price of admission includes In/Out privileges throughout the day. Children eight years old and younger are free. Tickets for youths ages nine to 18 are $5; admission for those 19 years and older is $10. A family of four or more will be admitted for $30 if cheaper.
For those unable to make it to Rumble in the Rainforest, all of the games will be broadcast online for a $10 fee. Fans will be able to make their payments through PayPal at http://www.ciactionsports.com/peninsula_college/rumble.html. Responses will come back via action@ciactionsports.
- The Kitsap Pumas are an American professional soccer team based in Bremerton, Washington. Founded in 2008, the team plays in the USL Premier Development League (PDL), the fourth tier of the American Soccer Pyramid in the Northwest Division of the Western Conference. The Pumas are the 2011 PDL Champions.
- The Victoria Highlanders FC is based in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. The team plays in the USL Premier Development League (PDL), the fourth tier of the American Soccer Pyramid. Highlanders FC players are Canadian CIS and NCAA Division I University and College players, Canadian U20 National Team Players, local Vancouver Island players, and recruited players from around the world.
- The Washington Huskies men’s soccer team is an intercollegiate varsity sports team of the University of Washington. The team is a member of the Pacific-12 Conference of the National Collegiate Athletic Association and plays in the top level of college soccer in America, NCAA DI.
- Saint Martins’ teams participate in the NCAA’s Great Northwest Athletic Conference at the Division II level. In 2009, the Men’s Soccer team seized the first team title in any sport for Saint Martin’s University, winning the Great Northwest Athletic Conference
- IPS is the division champions for the Oregon Premiere Soccer League. A substantial portion of the players in the OPSL have competed at the collegiate level and professional level with several players having played in the MLS, Mexico, Germany, England and in the US professional indoor soccer leagues.
- Peninsula College Women and Men Pirates are the two-time defending Northwest Athletic Association of Community College champions. They play their regular season in the fall and are allowed a short exhibition season each spring. The Pirate women and men each won 21 games last fall, the first men and women program to win back-to-back championships in the NWAACC. In total, the men have three college championships and the women have two.
- WenUtd FC is one of the founding members of the Evergreen Premier League (EPLWA). The Evergreen Premier League is an elite adult men’s soccer league for college and post-college age players to feature their skills on hometown clubs throughout the state of Washington.
Local sponsors for the Rumble in the Rainforest include Windermere Realty, State Farm Insurance, Olympic Peninsula Boys & Girls Club, Pirate Bay Café, Todd Haworth Dentistry, Atlas Trucking, High Energy Metals, Pirates Cove Café, Next Door Gastropub, Toga’s Soup House, Olympic Medical Physicians, Pepsi – Peninsula Bottling Co., 7 Cedars Casino, Wilder Auto and Therapeutic Associates.