The Wash is David Falk’s take on the world of soccer in The WA.
by David Falk
We will know a lot more after this weekend. Washington’s biggest soccer story of 2014 could yet be written. Sounders FC host the Los Angeles Galaxy on Sunday and could advance to their first-ever MLS Cup. Meanwhile the Washington Husky Men are traveling to Lansing to play Michigan State’s Spartans in the NCAA Sweet Sixteen.
Indeed, we will know more after this weekend. For now though I thought Thanksgiving weekend would be a good time to start a working list. So, what’s the biggest Washington soccer story of the year? In no particular order, here’s a starter list:
- Seattle Sounders win US Open Cup and Supporters Shield
- Seattle Reign FC post league’s best record, advance to NWSL Final
- Evergreen Premier League, founded by statewide group of club owners, plays first season
- Western Indoor Soccer league, founded by statewide group of club owners, begins first season
- Troubles for MASL Seattle Impact
- USA Soccer Freestyle Competition held in Seattle
- Sounders announce S2 team in USL Pro
- DeAndre Yedlin at the World Cup with USA
- Central Valley and Crosspoint repeat as WIAA Champions in Girls HS Soccer
- Washington Husky Men reach #1 ranking, make NCAA run
- Strong showing for college women: UW, WSU, Seattle U, Western, Seattle Pacific, Puget Sound, Pacific Lutheran, Northwest
- Strong showing for college men: Seattle Pacific, Whitworth, Northwest
- NWAC crowns new champions: Everett Women and Highline Men
- Kitsap Pumas advance to PDL Final
What would you add to the list? Post in the comments section below!
goalWA.net Local Soccer News is sponsored by Pro Roofing Northwest, Kirkland, Bellevue, Seattle, Redmond, Woodinville, Federal Way, Everett, Snohomish, Issaquah, Renton, Kent, Bothell, Edmonds Washington roofing company.