TUKWILA, WASH. – Seattle Sounders FC dropped a 3-1 result to the Portland Timbers on Tuesday night at Starfire Stadium in the Fourth Round of the 2015 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. After claiming four Open Cup titles in six years, Sounders FC exits the competition after its first match for the second time since entering Major League Soccer in 2009. Tonight’s defeat marks the first-ever loss for Sounders FC at Starfire Stadium in the MLS era, after the home side went down to a seven men following the ejection of three players and an injury to another throughout the contest.
After a back-and-forth first half that failed to yield any goals, Portland got on the scoreboard first just after halftime courtesy of Diego Valeri, who converted a Rodney Wallace lofted pass in the 48th minute of play.
- goalWA.net Local Soccer News is sponsored by Pro Roofing Northwest, Kirkland, Bellevue, Seattle, Redmond, Woodinville, Federal Way, Everett, Snohomish, Issaquah, Renton, Kent, Bothell, Edmonds Washington roofing company.
Tuesday night’s contest was marked by eight total bookings and three ejections, beginning with a second yellow card for Sounders FC captain Brad Evans in the 69th minute. Despite playing with only ten men at the time, the Rave Green rallied to secure an equalizer down the stretch, as Dylan Remick served in a corner-kick in the 79th minute that fell to Seattle forward Obafemi Martins. The Nigerian pounced on a failed clearance from Portland goalkeeper Adam Kwarasey, cleaning-up a loose ball inside the Timbers six-yard-box to make the score-line 1-1.
Unfortunately for Martins, his night ended prematurely due to injury following a midfield challenge with a Portland player just before fulltime, leaving Sounders FC playing with nine men before heading into extra time.
Portland claimed the lead once more through Rodney Wallace in the 100th minute of play, with his strike promptly followed by the ejections of Micheal Azira and Clint Dempsey in the 111th and 112th minutes, respectively. Down to seven players, Sounders FC conceded a third goal to Portland courtesy of Maximiliano Urruti in the 116th minute to cap the night’s scoring.
Sounders FC returns to MLS play on Saturday, June 20 against the San Jose Earthquakes (1:00 p.m. PT / JOEtv, This TV, ROOT SPORTS, KIRO Radio 97.3 FM, El Rey 1360 AM). Sigi Schmid’s side holds a 9-4-2 record on the season, good for 29 points and a one-point lead over D.C. United in the Supporters’ Shield Race.
Seattle Sounders FC 1 – Portland Timbers 3
Tuesday, June 16, 2015
Venue: Starfire Stadium
Referee: Daniel Radford
Assistants: Mike Kampmeinert, Jeff Hosking
Fourth Official: Jeff Athurholtz
Weather: Sunny and 72 degrees
POR – Diego Valeri (Rodney Wallace) 48′
SEA – Obafemi Martins 79′
POR – Rodney Wallace 100′
POR – Maximiliano Urruti (George Fochive) 116′
SEA – Andy Rose (caution) 20′
SEA – Brad Evans (caution) 38′
POR – Norberto Paparatto (caution) 54′
SEA – Brad Evans (ejection) 69′
POR – Jack Jewsbury (caution) 106′
POR – Taylor Peay (caution) 111′
SEA – Micheal Azira (ejection) 112′
SEA – Clint Dempsey (ejection) 113′
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC – Troy Perkins; Oniel Fisher, Chad Marshall, Brad Evans – Captain, Leo Gonzalez (Tyrone Mears 84′); Cristian Roldan (Dylan Remick 72′), Micheal Azira, Andy Rose, Aaron Kovar (Clint Dempsey 71′); Obafemi Martins, Lamar Neagle
Substitutes not used: Stefan Frei, Thomàs, Darwin Jones, Dylan Remick
Total shots: 13 (Aaron Kovar/Obafemi Martins, 3)
Shots on goal: 5 (Obafemi Martins, 2)
Fouls: 19 (Andy Rose, 4)
Offside: 2 (Dylan Remick, 1)
Corner-kicks: 8 (Aaron Kovar, 6)
Saves: 2 (Troy Perkins, 2)
Portland Timbers – Adam Kwarasey; Alvas Powell (Taylor Peay 36′), Norberto Paparatto, Nat Borchers, Jorge Villafana; Jack Jewsbury – Captain, Diego Valeri (Gaston Fernandez 60′), George Fochive; Darlington Nagbe, Fanendo Ali
Substitutes not used: Andrew Weber, Gaston Fernandez, Michael Nanchoff, Taylor Peay, Maximiliano Urruti, Ishmael Yartey
Total shots: 13 (Rodney Wallace, 3)
Shots on goal: 5 (5 tied at 1)
Fouls: 12 (4 tied at 2)
Offside: 5 (Rodney Wallace, 2)
Corner-kicks: 4 (Jorge Villafana, 2)
Saves: 4 (Adam Kwarasey, 4)
- Tonight’s match marks the first loss in 17 matches for Sounders FC at Starfire Stadium in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup history. In addition, the Rave Green allowed more than one goal in a match for the first time as a participant in the competition.
- Goalkeeper Troy Perkins made his first start with the First Team after a shutout win with S2 last week against LA Galaxy II. He had 51 appearances for the Timbers from 2011-2012.
- Defender Oniel Fisher also made his first start with the First Team. He played the full 120 minutes. Forward Clint Dempsey made his first-ever appearance at Starfire Stadium, coming on as a substitute in the 71st minute.
- Obafemi Martins scored his third career Open Cup goal with an equalizer in the 79th minute.
- Three of the past four home matches at Starfire Stadium during Open Cup play have gone to extra time. During last season’s championship run, Seattle advanced on penalty kicks against the San Jose Earthquakes in the Fifth Round before defeating Portland 3-1 in the quarterfinals.