SEATTLE, WASH. – Playing its third match in eight days across all competitions, Seattle Sounders FC (9-5-2, 29 points) fell to the visiting San Jose Earthquakes (6-5-4, 22 points) by a final score of 2-0 in a Saturday afternoon Western Conference clash on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field. Today’s result marks Seattle’s second home loss of 2015, with the Earthquakes claiming both wins in the Emerald City. Despite the loss, Seattle currently remains atop the Supporters’ Shield race as the leading team in Major League Soccer. At 29 points, Sounders FC has a one-point lead over Eastern Conference leader D.C. United, with the Rave Green holding a three-point advantage over second-place Western Conference side Vancouver Whitecaps FC.
Former Sounder Sanna Nyassi put San Jose into the lead in the 28th minute of play with a quick strike from the right flank, beating Seattle goalkeeper Stefan Frei at his far post. Earthquakes midfielder Matias Perez Garcia provided the assist by initiating the San Jose attack at the top of Seattle’s 18-yard-box.
Garcia provided another offensive spark for the visitors in the 73rd minute by cutting through Seattle’s backline on the end of a San Jose counterattack, blasting a shot into the upper left corner of Sounders FC’s goal.
Following today’s contest, the Rave Green take a cross-country flight to face the Philadelphia Union on Wednesday, June 24 (4:00 p.m. PT / JOEtv, ROOT SPORTS, KIRO Radio 97.3 FM, El Rey 1360 AM). Sigi Schmid’s side then returns to the Pacific Northwest for a nationally televised Cascadia Cup showdown with the Portland Timbers on Sunday, June 28 (4:00 p.m. PT / FOX Sports 1, KIRO Radio 97.3 FM, El Rey 1360 AM).
Seattle Sounders FC 0 – San Jose Earthquakes 2
Saturday, June 20, 2015
Venue: Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field
Referee: Juan Guzman
Assistants: Frank Anderson, Felisha Mariscal
Fourth Official: Tyler Ploeger
Weather: Sunny and 70 degrees
SJ – Sanna Nyassi (Matias Perez Garcia) 28′
SJ – Matias Perez Garcia (Cordell Cato) 74′
SJ – Sanna Nyassi (caution) 23′
SEA – Thomàs (caution) 59′
SEA – Zach Scott (caution) 87′
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC – Stefan Frei; Tyrone Mears, Brad Evans – captain (Zach Scott 45′), Chad Marshall, Dylan Remick; Micheal Azira, Cristian Roldan, Thomàs (Aaron Kovar 60′), Andy Rose (Victor Mansaray 78′), Marco Pappa; Lamar Neagle
Substitutes not used: Troy Perkins, Gonzalo Pineda, Oniel Fisher, Darwin Jones
Total shots: 12 (Pappa, 4)
Shots on goal: 3 (3 players, 1)
Fouls: 9 (Thomàs, 3)
Offside: 1 (Roldan, 1)
Corner-kicks: 5 (Pappa, 5)
Saves: 2 (Frei, 2)
San Jose Earthquakes – David Bingham; Marvell Wynne (Cordell Cato 45′), Victor Bernardez, Clarence Goodson, Jordan Stewart; Fatai Alashe, Matias Perez Garcia (Tommy Thompson 78′), Chris Wondolowski – captain; Sanna Nyassi, Adam Jahn, Shea Salinas (Shaun Francis 90+1′)
Substitutes not used: Bryan Meredith, Leandro Barrera, Jean-Baptiste Perazzi, Khari Stephenson
Total shots: 15 (Wondolowski, 4)
Shots on goal: 4 (Nyassi, 2)
Fouls: 15 (Nyassi, 4)
Offside: 1 (Jahn, 1)
Corner-kicks: 4 (Perez Garcia, 3)
Saves: 3 (Bingham, 3)
- goalWA.net Local Soccer News is sponsored by Pro Roofing Northwest, Kirkland, Bellevue, Seattle, Redmond, Woodinville, Federal Way, Everett, Snohomish, Issaquah, Renton, Kent, Bothell, Edmonds Washington roofing company.
- The result marks the second loss at home for Sounders FC in 2015 – both against San Jose. The Earthquakes defeated Seattle 3-2 at CenturyLink Field on March 14. The two sides meet for a third and final time on September 12 at Avaya Stadium.
- San Jose now leads the all-time series with Seattle at 10-6-2, with an even 5-5-1 record at CenturyLink Field. The Quakes’ 10 wins against Sounders FC is the most of any opposing team.
- Cristian Roldan made his first start in central midfield for Sounders FC tonight, the position he played throughout the majority of his prolific career at the University of Washington. The club’s 2015 MLS SuperDraft selection had previously made 10 appearances and five starts on the wing.
- Rookie Homegrown Player Victor Mansaray made his home debut for Sounders FC when he came on as a substitute in the 78th minute. The 18-year-old forward had made two previous appearances, first at FC Dallas on March 28 and then at the LA Galaxy on April 12.