BALTIMORE (July 18, 2015) – (USsoccer.com)The U.S. Men’s National team dominated its Quarterfinal match-up against Cuba at M&T Stadium, winning 6-0 to punch its ticket to the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup Semifinals.
Clint Dempsey tallied a hat trick, Aron Johannsson, Gyasi Zardes and Omar Gonzalez also scored for the MNT, with Gonzalez’s goal the first of his international career. Goalkeeper Brad Guzan and the U.S. MNT backline earned their second shutout of the tournament.
The MNT improved its Gold Cup Quarterfinal record to 8-0-1 and extended its record to 6-0-0 against Cuba in the regional tournament. The six-goal win was the largest margin of victory for the USA in the history of the tournament.
The USA continues its title defense on Wednesday, July 22, in the tournament Semifinal at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Georgia, against the winner of tonight’s matchup between Haiti and Jamaica. The Semifinal will be broadcast live FOX Sports 1 and UniMas. Fans can also follow the action on Twitter @ussoccer and @ussoccer_esp.
Goal Scoring Rundown:
USA – Clint Dempsey (Timmy Chandler) 4th minute: The U.S. struck first in the game’s early minutes. From the right side, Timmy Chandler curled a left-footed ball in to Clint Dempsey, who out-jumped his defender and headed it over Cuba’s diving ‘keeper for the early advantage. USA 1, CUB 0 (SEE GOAL)
USA – Gyasi Zardes (Fabian Johnson) 15th minute: Just over 10 minutes after collecting the match’s opening score, the U.S. doubled up with Zardes’ first-career Gold Cup goal. Fabian Johnson set it up with a spinning cross from the left that found Zardes on the right. Zardes hit a side-footed volley out of the air and into the goal. USA 2, CUB 0 (SEE GOAL)
USA – Aron Johannsson (Michael Bradley) 32nd minute: Bradley hit a perfect lofted ball into the Cuba half from behind the midfield line. Johannsson sprinted to get to it, and Cuba goalkeeper Diosvelis Guerra was caught in a position where he couldn’t converge and tried to break down and defend. Johannsson sensing the hesitation, gracefully chipped the ball into the goal for the USA”s third tally of the half. USA 3, CUB 0 (SEE GOAL)
USA – Omar Gonzalez (Aron Johannsson) 45th minute: From a corner kick Michael Bradley sent the ball to the far post. As it bent toward the endline Johannsson rose and headed it back through the box. Omar Gonzalez reached it first and finished for his first international goal and the USA’s fourth of the game. USA 4, CUB 0 (SEE GOAL)
USA – Clint Dempsey (penalty) 64th minute: Brad Evans played a beautiful ball into Aron Johannsson, who was dragged down in the box by Cuban defender Angel Horta to set up a penalty kick. Dempsey stepped up and confidently clipped it down the middle for his fifth goal of the tournament. USA 5, CUB 0 (SEE GOAL)
USA – Clint Dempsey (Michael Bradley) 78th minute: Michael Bradley played the architect, knifing through the Cuban defense and into the box, before threading a ball back across to Dempsey. Dempsey jetted over to it and slammed it into the net complete his hat trick. USA 6, CUB 0 (FINAL) (SEE GOAL)
- Clint Dempsey scored his fourth, fifth and sixth goals in this Gold Cup Tournament. He is the current golden boot leader. He now has 47 goals in his MNT career, including 11 in the Gold Cup, which ranks second on the all-time list.
- Dempsey’s hat trick was the fourth in MNT Gold Cup history: Brian McBride – 1/27/02 QF v. SLV; Landon Donovan (4) – 7/19/03 QF v. Cuba; Chris Wondolowski – 7/9/13 v. Belize
- Omar Gonzalez’s goal was the first of his international career.
- Gyasi Zardes scored his second goal of 2015 and his first in a Gold Cup.
- Aron Johannsson’s goal was his first in a Gold Cup and his second in 2015 with his first coming against Denmark on March 25 in Arhus.
- Brad Guzan earned his 12th career shutout and his second in this tournament.
- U.S. captain Michael Bradley and goalkeeper Brad Guzan made their fourth straight starts of the 2015 Gold Cup.
- After missing the first two matches of the tournament, Alejandro Bedoya made his second straight start.
- The back four of Timmy Chandler, Ventura Alvarado, Gonzalez and Fabian Johnson was the third different combination used in the team’s four Gold Cup matches.
- Clint Dempsey now has five career goals against Cuba. He also tallied in the team’s 4-1 win in the 2005 Gold Cup opener and the 1-0 shutout win in a World Cup Qualifier on Sept. 6, 2008 in Havana.
- Eight U.S. players made their first-ever appearance in a Gold Cup Quarterfinal as well as against Cuba: Alvarado, Bedoya, Chandler, Gonzalez, Aron Johannsson, Johnson, Guzan and Gyasi Zardes.
- This was the first time the USMNT scored 4 goals in a first half or led by four at half since Dec. 1993 vs El Salvador.
- The last time the MNT scored four goals in one half of a competitive match was in a World Cup Qualifier against Cuba on Oct. 11, 2008. The USA scored four second-half goals in a 6-1 win at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. that clenched the team a berth in the final round of CONCACAF qualifying for the 2010 World Cup.
- The MNT is 8-0-1 in Quarterfinal matches and 20-6-4 in knockout matches all-time in the Gold Cup.
- The MNT is 8-1-1 all-time against Cuba and a perfect 6-0-0 in Gold Cup matches. The U.S. is currently on an eight-match winning streak against the island nation, dating back to Sept. 21, 1949.
– U.S. Men’s National Team Match Report –
Match: U.S. Men’s National Team vs. Cuba
Date: July 18, 2015
Competition: 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup; Quarterfinals
Venue: M&T Bank Stadium; Baltimore, Maryland
Kickoff: 5 p.m. ET
Weather: 89 degrees; Sunny
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
USA 4 2 6
CUB 0 0 0
USA – Clint Dempsey (Timmy Chandler) 4th minute
USA – Gyasi Zardes (Fabian Johnson) 15
USA – Aron Johannsson (Michael Bradley) 32
USA – Omar Gonzalez (Aron Johannsson) 45
USA – Clint Dempsey (penalty kick) 64
USA – Clint Dempsey (Michael Bradley) 78
USA: 1-Brad Guzan; 21-Timmy Chandler (16-Brad Evans, 46), 3-Omar Gonzalez, 13-Ventura Alvarado, 23-Fabian Johnson (2-DeAndre Yedlin 67); 5-Kyle Beckerman (24-Joe Corona, 46), 20-Gyasi Zardes, 11-Alejandro Bedoya, 4-Michael Bradley (capt.); 9-Aron Johannsson, 8-Clint Dempsey
Subs Not Used: 12-Nick Rimando, 22-William Yarbrough;10-Mix Diskerud, 15-Tim Ream, 18-Chris Wondolowski, 19-Graham Zusi, 25-DaMarcus Beasley, 26-Alan Gordon
Head Coach: Jurgen Klinsmann
CUB: 21-Diosvelis Guerra; 2-Andy Vaquero, 4-Angel Horta, 5-Jorge Luis Clavelo (capt.), 6-Yaisnier Napoles, 8-Alberto Gomez (23-Felix Guerra, 78), 9-Maikel Reyes, 13-Jorge Corrales, 15-Adrian Diz Pe, 17-Liban Perez (20-Armando Coroneaux, 57), 18-Daniel Luis (19-Yasmany Lopez, 70)
Subs Not Used: 1-Sandy Sanchez, 3-Yenier Molina, 16-Hanier Dranguet, 22-Alain Cervantes,
Head coach: Raul Gonzalez Triana
Stats Summary: USA / CUB
Shots: 24 / 7
Shots on Goal: 10 / 1
Saves: 1 / 4
Corner Kicks: 7 / 1
Fouls: 11 / 8
Offside: 2 / 3
CUB – Yaisnier Napoles (caution) 60th minute
CUB – Angel Horta (caution) 63
Referee: Henry Bejarano (CRC)
Assistant Referee 1: Warner Castro (CRC)
Assistant Referee 2: Leonel Leal (CRC)
4th Official: Joel Aguilar (SLV)
Budweiser Man of the Match: Clint Dempsey